Saturday, March 15, 2014

Hecho en Michigan (Made in Michigan)

So, I have always loved the Made in Mexico (Hecho en Mexico) image. It is kind of stark and super iconic. The image which has often come in the form of tiny stickers on the bottom items that I have bought. These stickers have always ended up on notebooks and door frames.  For some reason I have always tried to save them for some later purpose; they seemed precious. I know at some point, it will be a tattoo for me.  Maybe I have always felt a little like these items. I am Texan born, but a part of me was imported from Mexico.

This morning was trying to come up for a name for my new blog. You want the name to be original without trying too hard. I wanted the name to feel real to me and coming up with a name that fits all of this criteria of authenticity and originality is really hard and stressful work. I was thinking about how much the Latino roots of my SW Detroit neighborhood influences my life and my work in immigration reform. Of course, the melding and meshing of the two geographies that are both internal/external and personal/public just felt right.

The name "Hecho en Michigan" seemed to perfectly express my current personal space and so, I thought that it would be nice to combine the two most hard working regions that I know: Mexico and Michigan:


No comments:

Post a Comment